[Snort-users] What have I screwed up on this SQL call?

Hutchinson, Andrew Andrew.Hutchinson at ...3639...
Fri Apr 11 06:37:13 EDT 2003

I'm not certain exactly what your question is, but here are a couple
observations:

in your INSERT statements below, you're trying to insert a value into an
auto-increment field.

Here is a description (in postgresql) of the sig_class table:

# ==========

snort191=# \d sig_class
                                    Table "public.sig_class"
     Column     |  Type   |                              Modifiers

----------------+---------+---------------------------------------------
------------------------
 sig_class_id   | integer | not null default
nextval('public.sig_class_sig_class_id_seq'::text)
 sig_class_name | text    | not null
Indexes: sig_class_pkey primary key btree (sig_class_id),
         sig_class_name_idx btree (sig_class_name)

# ==========

The modifier on the sig_class_id field is "not null default
nextval('public.sig_class_sig_class_id_seq'::text)", meaning that it's
going to pull it's next value from the sig_class_class_id_seq sequence
(PostgreSQL uses something it refers to as sequences for implementing
"auto-increment" fields).

It could be that you're trying to insert a value that's a duplicate into
a sig_class_id (which is a primary key, so no dupes allowed).  What you
should do instead is insert like this:

INSERT INTO sig_class (sig_class_name) VALUES ('misc-activity');

and then query the table to get the sig_class_id for that
sig_class_name.

Hope this helps,

Andrew

Andrew Hutchinson - Network Security