[Snort-users] OT: Help with Barnyard

Gordon Cunningham gcunnin2 at ...163...
Wed Apr 9 07:40:23 EDT 2003

Ralf,

Thanks for responding.  (Just tried recompiling and I'm now getting an
error - undef ref to my_compress - will look into this)

Yes, barnyard was compiled with MySQL support and appears to connect to
MySQL just fine, but always has an undefined output plugin error.
classificaton.config is in the same subdir as the .map files.  I'm testing
snort 1.9.1 on RedHat 7.3 with latest patches - single NIC at the moment.  I
did note the different naming of the output plugin (config file originally
had alert_acid_db or log_acid_db instead of op_acid_db), but neither works.
How do I configure the output plugins, or are they supposed to be automatic?

Command line:  barnyard -o -c /etc/snort/barnyard.conf -f alert -g
/etc/snort/gen-msg.map -s /etc/snort/sid-msg.map -d /var/log/snort

Using -R as a test (bold mine):

-*> Barnyard! <*-
Version 0.1.0 (Build 17)
By Andrew R. Baker (andrewb at ...950...)
and Martin Roesch (roesch at ...1935..., www.snort.org)

dp_alert loaded
dp_log loaded
dp_stream_stat loaded
Fast Alert plugin initialized
AlertSyslog initialized
Log Dump plugin initialized
LogPcap initialized
AlertCSV initialized
Parsing Config file: /etc/snort/barnyard.conf
WARNING /etc/snort/barnyard.conf(156) => Unknown output plugin "op_acid_db"
referenced, ignoring!Archive Directory is NULL
Config File =/etc/snort/barnyard.conf
Log Dir=/var/log/snort
Spool Dir=/var/log/snort
Spool File=alert
Waldo File is NULL
Sid File=/etc/snort/sid-msg.map
Gen File=/etc/snort/gen-msg.map
Hostname=XXXX
Interface=eth0
Filter=not port 22
Record Number: 0
Log Flag: 0
Verbosity Level=0
File Arg Start: 0
One shot mode enabled
Dry Run mode enabled
commandline: barnyard -o -c /etc/snort/barnyard.conf -f alert -g
/etc/snort/gen-
msg.map -s /etc/snort/sid-msg.map -d /var/log/snort -R

Results of actual run (bold mine):
-*> Barnyard! <*-
Version 0.1.0 (Build 17)
By Andrew R. Baker (andrewb at ...950...)
and Martin Roesch (roesch at ...1935..., www.snort.org)

dp_alert loaded
dp_log loaded
dp_stream_stat loaded
Fast Alert plugin initialized
AlertSyslog initialized
Log Dump plugin initialized
LogPcap initialized
AlertCSV initialized
Parsing Config file: /etc/snort/barnyard.conf
WARNING /etc/snort/barnyard.conf(156) => Unknown output plugin "op_acid_db"
referenced, ignoring!Barnyard Version 0.1.0 (Build 17) started
ERROR => No input plugin found for magic: 5d2a2a5b
Fatal Error, Quitting..
Exiting

Barnyard config file (comments removed and sanitized):

config hostname: XXXX
config interface: eth0
config filter: not port 22
processor dp_alert
processor dp_log
processor dp_stream_stat
processor dp_plugbase
output alert_fast
output log_dump
# output op_acid_db: mysql, sensor_id 1, database snort, server localhost,
user XXXX, password XXXX
output op_acid_db: mysql, sensor_id 1, database snort, server localhost,
user XXXX, password XXXX, detail full

- Gordon