[Snort-users] Snort Installation problem

Aaron Babalola roniebabs at ...131...
Tue Apr 8 01:49:02 EDT 2003

I have been trying to install snort for some time but keep having problem.

With my linux box, after installation, when i run with

#snort -dvi eth0, it runs

but when i run by just typing snort, it gives an error "unable to open rule file:bad-traffic or /etc/bad-traffic

when i run with # snort -A full -c snort.conf, it give error "unable to open rule file: snort.conf or ./snort.conf

It also keep giving a warning that unknown alert.syslog

I guess it's a problem with my file locatio, but i have tried to move many file around but will not still work. I will appreciate someone helping me out.

With my windows XP box, when i try running by typing snort,  it says error, can not get write access to logging directory "log" access denied

Thanks