[Snort-users] stealth interface

Keg snrtlst at ...2792...
Mon Apr 7 14:33:05 EDT 2003

Let's say you want to have the eth1 without IP assigned:

1.Go to  /etc/sysconifg/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1 adn edit it to look
like this:
DEVICE=eth1
ONBOOT=no

2. Create custom startup script for that interface
 - Go to /etc/init.d and do   touch <your-script-name> && chmod +x
<your-script-name>
 - Edit this script tp include the following line: ifconfig eth1 up

3. Go to /etc/rc3.d and create the link to that script.
     ln -s /etc/init.d/<your-script-name>  S90eth1up (whatever name you
choose but male sure it starts with S and number should be bigger than
the one that starts service network)

That should do it.

d_greenjr wrote:

> Can someone tell me or give me the URL on how to create an interface
> with no ipaddr (stealth), on a linux [RH8] system? (Not the receive
> only cable-I saw that in the snort FAQs)  I have searched the Internet
> and the snort archives but have not found a message/page that
> describes what to do-only the end results.  Thanks

Experience the convenience of buying online with Shop at ...2793...!
http://shopnow.netscape.com/