[Snort-users] $HOME_NET

Keg snrtlst at ...2792...
Mon Apr 7 07:49:02 EDT 2003

1. OK, let me get it straight. If my $HOME_NET is set to
192.168.199.0/24 and my nessus scanner is 192.168.199.20. When I scan
the segment from nessus box I don't scan for ports at all, I scan only
for vulnerabilities.Shouldn't the rules be triggered in this case?
2. When I scan 192.168.199.0 from the nessus box, and DO USE PORTSCAN,
whould it be correct to say that IN THIS CASE NO ALERTS WILL BE
GENERATED BY THE RULES, but some will be generated by pre-processors. Is
that correct?
Thanks a lot.

Erek Adams wrote:

>On Sun, 6 Apr 2003, Keg wrote:
>

>>I guess I miss something.......
>>I have 3 network segments #1, #2, and #3. $HOME_NET is set to #1.
>>When I scan #1 with Nessus I get a lot of alerts logged.
>>When I scan #2 with Nessus I get just a little bit of alerts
>>When I add #2 to $HOME_NET (so it looks like $HOME_NET [#1/24,#2/24) I
>>'m starting to get a lot of alerts.
>>
>>Hence 2 questions:
>>1. Is there any difference how snort treats netwqorks if they are not
>>included in $HOME_NET?
>>2. Should I include all network segments I have in $HOME_NET?
>>

>When you're refering to portscans, are you refering to the one of the
>portscan preprocessors, stream4 or some of the rules?  $HOME_NET has
>nothing to do with any of those except for the rules.
>
>Where are you scanning _from_?  If you're scanning from inside of #1, then
>you won't see any alerts from the rules, but you may see them from one of
>the preprocessors.
>
>-----
>Erek Adams
>
>   "When things get weird, the weird turn pro."   H.S. Thompson

Experience the convenience of buying online with Shop at ...2793...!
http://shopnow.netscape.com/