[Snort-users] Help with a config file please?

L. Christopher Luther CLuther at ...6333...
Fri Apr 4 16:41:04 EST 2003

Carlos,

Let me try to translate my interpretation of your net config:  You want to
place the NIDS between the Internet connection and the firewall.  Yes?  If
so, then if you really desire a stealth NIDS, then the interface 1 (I1)
shouldn't be plugged into the promiscuous hub.  I1 should be "dropped" into
your LAN, behind the firewall.  A minor point, but one to remember down the
road.

Actually, something just rung a bell as I'm writing this.  I have two
Sensors: one WinNT4 w/ Snort 1.9.0 and WinPCap 2.2, and one Win2K w/ Snort
1.8.7 and WinPCap 2.3.  Originally, both sensors were Snort 1.8.7, but when
I attempted to upgrade the Win2K sensor to 1.9.0, I couldn't get 1.9.0 to
alert to any traffic.  [kick, kick, kick...]  Check out this post:

    http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=snort-users&m=104731745710804&w=2

I never got an answer to my problem, hence the Win2K sensor is still at
1.8.7.  Maybe you're a victim too...

Let us know what happens when you drop the switch in place.

- Christopher