[Snort-users] IDS Placement ideas for inside and outside a firewall.

David Glosser david_glosser at ...131...
Thu Apr 3 20:32:12 EST 2003

MessageI agree that an external sensor would be a Good Thing,  just that it would be the last thing I would do.  You first need plug any holes that may exist with packets allowed through your firewall, and  be perfectly comfortable with snort, have it tuned nicely, etc, before placing a sensor outside your firewall.  That guy will be receiving  alerts of a totally different order of magnitude.   I'm guessing 100 or 1000 times as many alerts than the internal sensors. (does anyone have any hard data on this?)

Now, if I had geographically dispersed sites, I may want sensors outside both firewalls, to determine if any kind of coordinated attack is happening....

----- Original Message -----
  From: Brei, Matt
  To: brian.laing at ...8607... ; David Glosser ; FWAdmin ; snort-users at ...8192...sourceforge.net
  Sent: Thursday, April 03, 2003 5:18 PM
  Subject: RE: [Snort-users] IDS Placement ideas for inside and outside a firewall.

  That’s exactly why I would want one outside of the firewall.  If I were to find a successful break in, I could then review logs from the external IDS and find that the same IP had done several scans or whatever that were eventually blocked by the firewall and not picked up by the internal IDS.  I would think that this would help build a better case if any type of legal action were to be taken.

  Matt