[Snort-users] IDS Placement ideas for inside and outside a fi rewall.

FWAdmin FWAdmin at ...8484...
Thu Apr 3 05:26:19 EST 2003

Exactly.

We do the same thing for the external side, but we are eventually moving it
on to our 6513. We are trying to eliminate 'hubs' on our network for the
sake of monitoring purposes.

        -Jason

-----Original Message-----
From: Philip Davidson [mailto:Philip at ...8580...]
Sent: April 2, 2003 17:38
To: 'Brei, Matt'; snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: RE: [Snort-users] IDS Placement ideas for inside and outside a fi
rewall.

As far as the inside, get you a little hub.  3Com makes a good hub Office
Connect, I think is what it's called.

Take the line from your router/firewall, run into the hub.  Plug your Snort
box into one of the 4 or 8 ports on the front of the hub.

A hub is literally a repeater, where it repeats the signal it gets.  Now
take the line that was from your router/firewall to your switch and plug
into the front of the hub as well.  I think this will work for you.  Or you
could just mirror a port on the switch.  This could depend on the brand of
switch.

Anyhow, that's one...wait..two ways of setting it up internally.

Later,

Philip Davidson

DPC, Inc

1015 Maurice Fields Dr