[Snort-users] You caught them, what next?

Matt Kettler mkettler at ...4108...
Wed Apr 2 12:20:44 EST 2003

Well, first, unless you've got evidence of actual malicious intent, an
exploitation attempt, or actual damages to your service quality, I'd not
waste your time writing letters.

Sure, doing a NMAP fingerprint is a bit rude, but unless you can show they
are somehow degrading your network by doing it too heavily, or are about to
launch an exploit attempt, there's nothing that's actually against the ToS
of most ISPs about doing it.

IMHO, there really should not be a blanket prohibition of fingerprinting
unless it somehow interferes with the network probed. After all, it's
perfectly legitimate to do a NMAP OS fingerprint of a couple of sites as
part of an academic research paper on TCP/IP stack deployments. That said,
it's up to the operator of the scan to ensure that the methods won't
interfere with the target servers or their networks, and if it does, said
operator should be responsible for any disruption he or she causes.

When it comes to the level of prohibition and disconnecting users, there
really needs to be some evidence that this is of a malicious nature, or
causes some kind of damage/degradation. Pure research is a valid thing on
the internet. If you don't want to be a part of that research, firewall em.

Personally, I view this as similar to calling the local police department
complaining just because someone that doesn't live on your street drove
down and took a few photos of a house on your block.. he could be a real
estate agent or news reporter after all, and the police have better things
to do with their time than answer overly paranoid hunches with no hint or
evidence that he's got any form of criminal intent, did no actual damage to
the property, nor violated any laws.