[Snort-users] Same source/dest

Erek Adams erek at ...950...
Wed Apr 2 11:41:19 EST 2003

On Wed, 2 Apr 2003, Brei, Matt wrote:

> Will it really make that much difference?  My snort is running on an AMD
> K6-2 400MHz with 256MB ram.  This machine is also acting as a
> firewall/router for a cable modem with iptables.  Snort logs to a MySQL
> server running on an AMD Athlon 1.1GHz with 512MB of RAM.

*shrug*  Maybe, maybe not.  You can't say for certain w/o actually trying
it.

If I were to guess, I'd say it's not going to get you a lot since you're
only on a cable modem.  The best sustained that you might be able to get
would only be abou 100k.  Most home traffic is 'peakish' where it spikes,
and then dies all across the board.

Cheers!

-----
Erek Adams