[Snort-users] Basic snort setup for traffic analysis

Nanabhay Mohamed * Group (GP) MohamedN at ...7021...
Mon Sep 30 03:44:12 EDT 2002

Hi,

I want to run snort on a network for about 5 days and then use snortsnarf
(or anything else someone can recommend) to analyse what sort of traffic is
going through the network.

Firstly, can anyone advise me on what sort of options (parameters) I should
run snort with in this exercise and also what rulesets I can leave out?

Secondly, I intend to place snort behind and infront of the firewall. Are
there any tools that do comparative analysis?

Thanks in advance,

Mohamed

Information Systems Security Services (IS3)
Transnet Group Audit Services