[Snort-users] Snort and high-traffic lines

Sam Ng sng at ...6934...
Mon Sep 30 02:30:13 EDT 2002

I have more or less the same problem, my line is about 20-30M average,
single P4 1.7G, CPU loading 99%, obviously overloaded, traffic
segmentation seems to my only solution.

If I use spo_database, CPU loading is about 15-30, obviously due to the
blocking I/O, snort is a single thread program, if you use spo_databaes,
it wait the database server to finish the 5-8 insert/query SQL
statements before it can go back to do the sniffing job, so you can
expect you CPU can always be idle.

I think all spo_xx should be rewritten to use pthread or simply use
barnyard.

By the way, if you do traffic segmentation, don't do it by rules files,
best way is to do it is by IP (use pass rule or HOME_NET), taking out
some of the rules might not always make the system runs faster, if snort
can't find a matched rule, it keep running thru all the rules, hence, it
may takes longer time in searching.

Sam