[Snort-users] Updateing Snortrules-stable.tar.gz on Snort 1.8.1

Error79 at ...348... Error79 at ...348...
Sun Sep 29 11:37:02 EDT 2002

I am currently running Snort 1.8.1

Today I decided to download the new ruleset.
While extracting the file I noticed that there are new *.config's and
new sid files additional to the rulefiles.

Can anyone tell me if I just have to adjust the config file and copy the
rest inside my snort directory?
Or do I have to update Snort to the current version to be able to use
the new rules (including the sid and config files)?

Thanks in advance

Marcel