[Snort-users] linux version?

Erek Adams erek at ...577...
Thu Sep 26 11:54:04 EDT 2002

On Thu, 26 Sep 2002, Nick Elliott wrote:

> I've always run Snort on win32 boxes but am completely fed up with the lack
> of good console and management software for use with Windows.

ACID can run on any platform that supports PHP.   :)

> Problem is I am a linux virgin and am filled with trepidayshun.. I am about
> to get RH 7.3 and have a go. Any advice as to whether this version /flavour
> is best? thanks

The honest advice is:  None of them are right, but all of them are right.  :)

Pick what you know.  The smaller your learning curve is with the OS, the more
you can learn about snort.

Personal opinion follows....   Don't use RH or a distro based on it.  RH has
made quite a few gratuitous changes to things that shouldn't be changed
(libpcap, system libs, etc...).  That alone is enough to discourage me.  If
you're wanting something to run on almost anyhardware, you might want to look
at NetBSD.

Hope that helps!

-----
Erek Adams