[Snort-users] Is anyone using 'react' to block the use of Gnutella?

Vieth, Scott svieth at ...6966...
Mon Sep 23 12:40:09 EDT 2002

Hi:

Snort is telling me that we have folks using Gnutella to send/receive files
from other Gnutella users on the Internet.  I've blocked all the 'easy' TCP
ports on the firewall to stop P2P file sharing.  But the P2P protocols are
still getting through. I think they are getting more "firewall-smart".

Since Snort can 'see' the folks who are running Gnutella, could I use
'react' to block/disrupt/close those connections?

Just wondering....

Thanks,

-Scott Vieth
Medical College of Wisconsin