[Snort-users] "snort dead but subsys locked"

Dave Ellingsberg dave.ellingsberg at ...6923...
Mon Sep 16 19:13:08 EDT 2002

I ahd the same issue.  Mine was the "classification.config"  was called
from snort.conf and caused the error."snort dead but subsys
locked".  I commented out the line in snort.conf calling fro
callisifciation.config and it s working now.

bigfoot

>>> "Jaco Lange" <Jaco at ...6805...> 09/16/02 07:36AM >>>
I had the same issue, check if you can connect to the mysql on
localhost,
or  type /usr/local/bin/snort -c /etc/snort/snort.conf this should
show
any errors.

On Wed, 11 Sep 2002, [iso-8859-1] Luiz Alberto Cataldo Jr wrote:

> I am with a serious problem.  I am having problems initializing the
Snort.
> I am using the Red Hat 7,2, when I enter in/etc/rc.d/init.d and I
execute
> the command /snortd start and I receive the message OK. After this I
execute
> /snortd status and I receive the message "snort dead but subsys
locked". I
> have already looked all the configuration and I did not find
anything
wrong.
> Somebody knows how i could resolve is.

It seems like there's something wrong with the /etc/rc.d/init.d/snortd
script,
and not with snort itself.  Check to make sure that you don't have a
config
file error with 'snort -T'.  If that works, then check to see that
snort is
working 'snort -vd'.  If all that works, then it's a problem with your
script.

Cheers!

-----
Erek Adams