[Snort-users] Recieve Only Ethernet Cabling question.

Frank Knobbe fknobbe at ...652...
Sat Sep 14 23:59:04 EDT 2002

On Sat, 2002-09-14 at 10:05, Scot Scot wrote:

> 1. Solder pins one and two on the Snort-Box connector together.
> 2. Solder pins 1 (from-hub), 3(from-hub), and 3 (from Snort-Box) together.
> 3. Solder pins 2 (from-hub), 6(from-hub), and 6 (from Snort-Box) together.
>
> Just cut the wire somewhere in the middle to perform this. Make sure you
> keep your cuts clean, don't use to much solder, and use a good heatshrink
> wrap to keep the job clean.

Solder? ;)

If you have patience, you can also crimp the cross-connection directly
into the jack. I put a couple pics up that show how it can be done
(since I'm never getting around to making that mpeg I promised beginning
of the year...). Just strip the end of the cables for pin 3 and 6 so
that you have about half an inch of blank copper. That allows you to
squeeze two solid copper cores into one pin (doesn't work with stranded
cable of course :)

Pics are:
http://www.snortsam.net/1.jpg
http://www.snortsam.net/2.jpg