[Snort-users] Recieve Only Ethernet Cabling question.

Keith Young kyoung at ...6513...
Fri Sep 13 16:27:02 EDT 2002

Andy Garner wrote:
> I was looking at the diagram in the Snort FAQ on snort.org for making my 
> own receive-only Ethernet cable.  Isn't what is being described the same 
> as a crossover cable?  I just wanted to make sure before I expose my new 
> snort machine to the internet.


No. The receive-only cable has the transmit wire pair cut. A crossover 
cable has the receive wire pair on one side "crossed" to the transmit 
wire pair on the other side (and vice-versa). It is used for going 
between "like" device types (ie. PC-to-PC, hub-to-hub, etc)

If you want a secure receive-only cable then you will need to make it by 
following the Snort FAQ.



--Keith Young
-kyoung at ...6513...

More information about the Snort-users mailing list