[Snort-users] "snort dead but subsys locked"

Luiz Alberto Cataldo Jr cataldo_jr at ...6873...
Fri Sep 13 11:31:07 EDT 2002

 All, I still have problems, When executing ' snort - T ' I received the following message:_________________________Log directory =/var/log/snortInitializing Network Interface eth0Using config file/root/.snortrcInitializing Preprocessors!  Initializing Plug-ins!  Initializing Output Plugins!  Parsing Rules file/root/.snortrc++++++++++++++++++++++++++++Initializing rule chainsError:  Unable you open rules file:  or/root// root/snortrcFatal error, quitting  - What i did not understand was the "way/root/.snortrc...  "Later I verified that RULE PATH that was inside of snort.conf  was wrong, and i modified, but when executing ' snort - T'   i still receiving this message: Executing/usr/local/bin/snort - vd, it starts and shows execution on the screen thatdoes not end.   I also made ' rm - f/var/lock/subsys/snort, but when i start with '/etc/rc.d/ini.t/./snort start '  it continues with the problem, Thank you for your response,

  Erek Adams <erek at ...577...> escreveu: On Wed, 11 Sep 2002, [iso-8859-1] Luiz Alberto Cataldo Jr wrote:

> I am with a serious problem. I am having problems initializing the Snort.
> I am using the Red Hat 7,2, when I enter in/etc/rc.d/init.d and I execute
> the command /snortd start and I receive the message OK. After this I execute
> /snortd status and I receive the message "snort dead but subsys locked". I
> have already looked all the configuration and I did not find anything wrong.
> Somebody knows how i could resolve is.

It seems like there's something wrong with the /etc/rc.d/init.d/snortd script,
and not with snort itself. Check to make sure that you don't have a config
file error with 'snort -T'. If that works, then check to see that snort is
working 'snort -vd'. If all that works, then it's a problem with your script.

Cheers!

-----
Erek Adams
Nifty-Type-Guy