[Snort-users] "snort dead but subsys locked"

Earl D. Fife fife at ...6875...
Wed Sep 11 12:01:29 EDT 2002

(Sorry for the prior message with no subject. I'm using an awkward email
client for responding and I wasn't careful in checking all of the headers.)

In Redhat, the /etc/rc.d/init.d/snort creates the file
/var/lock/subsys/snort when snort starts then removes it when the script
stops snort.  You snort process died, but the file remains in
/var/lock/subsys

As root, issue the command
rm -f /var/lock/subsys/snort

Then you can restart snort.