[Snort-users] FreeBSD Snort Install Help!!!!!

twig les twigles at ...131...
Wed Sep 11 10:01:03 EDT 2002

Alright, lets see if we can help.

1. If you are getting a file system full message could
you include the output of "df -h"?  Your filesystem
could actually be full.

2. If you have massive problems installing a port
(which is possible, it has happened to me), grab the
ISO install disk and do a "/stand/sysinstall", and add
the package from the CD.  It won't be as up-to-date as
the port, but as long as there isn't a required
feature or security hole, I'm not too worried.  Or
just go to the software site and do a source install.

3. If you are using the patch command, make sure you
use the full path name, as in /tmp/resolv.patch or
/home/user1/resolv.patch or wherever you downloaded
the patch to.

4. X windows, IMHO, can be the most difficult thing to
install on BSD.  When I upgraded from 4.4 to 4.6 I was
dismayed to see that the configuration tool had
changed and, also in my opinion, was more convoluted
and difficult to use.  I got my setup to work though
trial and error after making sure I had the correct
vert and horizontal sync, and chose the correct video
driver.  When in doubt I always choose the lesser
option (ie, 24-bit graphics instead of 32).  Sorry I
can't help more on X, but it's a PITA.

5. On the other email you sent, you included bmc at
snort.org.  He has nothing to do with this doc, he
just posts it when I send him a new one.

=====
Heavy metal made me do it.