[Snort-users] signature testing (win32)

Hicks, John JHicks at ...5857...
Wed Sep 11 08:50:05 EDT 2002

A number of tools can be used to unobtrusively test snort. Off the top of my
head here are a few of my favories:

Nmap O/S detection as well as various types of port scanning (www.nmap.org);
Cerberus Internet Scannet - bannering/testing of various services
(http://www.cerberus-infosec.co.uk/cis.shtml)
Nikto - web server scanner based on RFP's libWhisker code
(http://www.cirt.net/code/nikto.shtml)

hth,

John

-----Original Message-----
From: netsec novice [mailto:netsec9 at ...125...]
Sent: Tuesday, September 10, 2002 8:06 PM
To: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Snort-users] signature testing (win32)

Have SNORT/ACID set up and would like to verify that I'm detecting traffic
on required subnets.  I have seen reference to a tool called 'sneeze' that
will generate false alarms but I have not been able to find it.  Is there
another way I can verify my setup by creating alerts that won't be
destructive?

thanks