[Snort-users] newbie question ....

Tue Sep 10 13:22:03 EDT 2002

By looking at captured traffic that contains the condition in question and examining the datagram sizes.  Certain types of traffic (malicious and legitimate) have certain minimum and/or maximum size characteristics, which are what you're after.  Create the condition (or capture it in the wild), and look for a pattern.  This is basically what you do any time you want to create a new signature.