[Snort-users] newbie question ....

Erek Adams erek at ...577...
Tue Sep 10 13:11:03 EDT 2002

On Tue, 10 Sep 2002, Ryan Hairyes wrote:

> Im new to snort .... and I was wondering if someone maybe able to point me
> in the right direction.  My question is .... how do you determine the
> DSIZE when using the dsize option.  I noticed with the virus.rules file the
> klez alert that the dsize is set to >120.  Thanks for the help.

Sure.

http://www.snort.org/docs/writing_rules/chap2.html#tth_sEc2.3.8

"The dsize option is used to test the packet payload size. It may be set to
any value, plus use the greater than/less than signs to indicate ranges and
limits. For example, if you know that a certain service has a buffer of a
certain size, you can set this option to watch for attempted buffer overflows.
It has the added advantage of being a much faster way to test for a buffer
overflow than a payload content check."

Does that help?

-----
Erek Adams