[Snort-users] How to simply sum up all the transferred bytes ?

Matt Adams mattad at ...1266...
Mon Sep 9 08:44:07 EDT 2002

As a snort newbie a question about using snort as a simple traffic monitor:

How can I measure the sum of bytes traffic between my personal local computer and the net outside within a given period of time ?

The statistic should distinguish between
inbound and outbound traffic
and possibly the used ports
- 21, 22 (= all ftp)
- 80, 81, 8080 (=all html)
- * (=rest)

The time period is e.g. today.

I didn't found an answer to this in several snort tutorials.

Do I have to change into Sniffer mode or Packet Logger Mode ?

The Packets itself are trash and shouldn't be saved.

Thx
Matt