[Snort-users] Snort as Service on Win2K - Stumped

Andy Morgan afmorgan at ...6792...
Thu Sep 5 04:58:03 EDT 2002

I'm out of idea's on this.

I am running Snort Version 1.8.7beta5-ODBC-MySQL-WIN32 (Build 128) on win2k
sp3.

I run snort /service /install -c c:\snort\rules\snort.conf -l c:\snort\log
-i1 and everything appears to install correctly.  I checked the reg and
there is a HKLM\Software\Snort with the info underneath.

When I do a net start snort I get "The Snort Service was started
successfully" but it isn't running.

The event viewer has this message:  EventID: 7031 Service Control Manager
The Snort service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 2 time(s). The
following corrective action will be taken in 0 milliseconds: No action.

If I try to manually start the service from the control panel-services I get
an error 1067: The process terminated unexpectedly.

When I run this same command line at a CMD prompt it loads fine.

I even tried FireDaemon but that also errored off.

Searching the web and lists didn't turn up anything.

What am I missing?

Thanks in Advance,
Andy Morgan
afmorgan at ...6792... <mailto:afmorgan at ...6792...>