[Snort-users] -b binary logging question

Chris Green cmg at ...1935...
Tue Sep 3 05:22:04 EDT 2002

John Sage <jsage at ...2022...> writes:

> Having a discussion off-list about the -b binary logging switch, and
> suddenly I'm wondering...
>
> Does the -b binary logging switch *always* record all packets on the
> interface?

No.  One thing that is confusing about snort is that it supports many
different modes.

> Or is the set of packets logged by -b changed when one starts to
> specify a snort.conf and thus check the packets against rules, whether
> alerts or passes?

Yes.  There is a difference between with a snort.conf and without.

> "If you're on a high speed network or you want to log the packets into
> a more compact form for later analysis you should consider logging in
> "binary mode". Binary mode logs the packets in "tcpdump format" to a
> single binary file in the logging directory:e

I really should rewrite that portion.  That only makes sense these
days if you've got a slow machine but fast disk IO.  Binary mode for a
log format + fast mode instead of an ascii logging  makes lots of
sense though.\

> ./snort -l ./log -b
>
> Note the command line changes here. We don't nee to specify a home
> network any longer because binary mode logs everything into a single
> file, which eliminates the need to tell it how to format the output
> directory structure."
>
> This implies that -b gets everything.

It does in that command line.

> OK: does it *always* get everything?

Nope.
--
Chris Green <cmg at ...1935...>
Don't use a big word where a diminutive one will suffice.