[Snort-users] e100 promisc mode

Peter Param pparam at ...7379...
Thu Oct 31 15:50:04 EST 2002

ahh..thank you very much!  2.1.15 version of the driver (as opposed to
2.1.6d) is working much much better!  :))

cheers
Peter

>>> Ben Feinstein <me at ...6289...> 11/01/02 09:34 AM >>>
I would't go that far.  I believe I ran into this same bug that existed
in
v2.1.6 (and maybe other versions) of the e100 driver that broke promisc.
FYI, the Linux e100 driver is written and released by INTEL, not Compaq.

Try version 2.1.15, released on 8/22/2002.  Works for me...

[1]  http://www.intel.com/support/network/adapter/1000/linux/e100.htm

On Thu, 31 Oct 2002, twig les wrote:

> Turn off that built-in in the BIOS and buy a new NIC.
>
> --- Peter Param <pparam at ...7379...> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Recently installed Snort 1.9 on linux 2.4.7-10.  I had to get the
> > latest e100 driver (2.1.6) from Compaq to get it working on the
> > machine with an inbuilt NIC.  The card works but not in promisc
mode.
> > Doing a "ifconfig eth0 promisc" makes it look like its working in
> > promiscuous mode but really it isn't.  I confirmed this by running
> > tcpdump alongside snort...only sees broadcasts.  Another machine (an
> > ibook with ver10) on the same segment (same hub etc) running tcpdump
> > also, confirms that it can see all frames.  I'm stumped!...any
ideas??

> > cheers
> > Peter

Snort-users list archive:

the system manager.

virus scanned and although no viruses were detected by the system,
St Vincent's Hospital accepts no liability for any consequential
damage resulting from email containing any computer viruses.