[Snort-users] e100 promisc mode

Peter Param pparam at ...7379...
Thu Oct 31 13:50:02 EST 2002

Hi all,

Recently installed Snort 1.9 on linux 2.4.7-10.  I had to get the latest
e100 driver (2.1.6) from Compaq to get it working on the machine with an
inbuilt NIC.  The card works but not in promisc mode.  Doing a "ifconfig
eth0 promisc" makes it look like its working in promiscuous mode but
really it isn't.  I confirmed this by running tcpdump alongside
snort...only sees broadcasts.  Another machine (an ibook with ver10) on
the same segment (same hub etc) running tcpdump also, confirms that it
can see all frames.  I'm stumped!...any ideas??

cheers
Peter

the system manager.

virus scanned and although no viruses were detected by the system,
St Vincent's Hospital accepts no liability for any consequential
damage resulting from email containing any computer viruses.