[Snort-users] Promiscuous mode

quentyn at ...3871... quentyn at ...3871...
Wed Oct 30 09:31:03 EST 2002

Paul Enlund wrote:

> Tried upgrading from Snort 1.8.6 to 1.9 on a Debian 2.2.20 system
> and I find that the eth0 interface enters promiscuous mode then
> returns back to normal.
>
> Options used are.
>
> start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --exec $DAEMON -- \
>    -D -c /etc/snort/snort.conf \
>    -l /var/log/snort/ \
>    -b
>
> I also tried 1.8.7 and this also suffers the same problem I find with
> 1.9
>
> Anybody seen this before and know the solution ?
>
> Paul Enlund

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=quentyn&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&scoring=d&selm=amdaji%24kc1%241%40FreeBSD.csie.NCTU.edu.tw&rnum=5

I saw it as well

however when I built a new snort box with snort 1.9.0 the problem hasn't
manifested it's self yet ( I had forgotten till I saw your post)

I *think* it was a bug in 1.8.7 though with no proof or time to
investigate I left it

Quentyn Taylor
Sysadmin - Fotango