[Snort-users] Snort stopping - too much traffic?

Wayne T Work securitygauntlet at ...3130...
Tue Oct 29 08:32:06 EST 2002

You need to be some Snort system tuning.
First, you need to evaluate your rules. ONLY utilize the ones which are
relevant to the Network Architecture you have. Reporting on attaches or
signatures that have no ability to harm of degrade your network should be
disabled or removed.
Second, you should look at the prepossesses you are using. You need to ask
yourself "Do I really need this". If the answer is fuzzy at best then NO.
Disable.
Third, you should look to see how you implementation is. Are you on a
Spanning Port on a switch, using a HUB, or (the best scenario) are you using
a Network TAP. All of these have issues that should be addresses from a
performance stand point. Especially the HUB which I have seen a LOT of
people put in conjunction with the firewalls inside or outside NIC to get
visibility. Hubs inside with other DMZ servers connected could be creating
"Collisions". Bad for IDS little box :(
I would do some of the above before looking into new hardware.

Good luck

Wayne T Work
CISSP
203.217.5004