[Snort-users] Question about Alerts

Matt Kettler mkettler at ...4108...
Mon Oct 28 10:09:05 EST 2002

Yes there are tools to do what you suggest, I'd try looking up hogwash.

I'd also strongly suggest not doing dynamic blocks on SMTP traffic, as
you've suggested here.

The mailserver attempting to deliver the mail will repeatedly attempt
delivery for several days, and you're going to wind up occasionally
blocking whole ISPs (yes, klez does sometimes arrive from a "legitimate"
mailserver for an ISP, I've gotten two such klez emails in the past 5 days.)

Since you're not going to want to be blocking a whole ISP for several days,
you'll wind up having to manually clear the block, at which point the
mailserver will retry all the spooled email it has for your server. This
will most likely start with the oldest mail, which will be the klez
containing one, causing them to be blocked again.

If you don't have a virus scanner for your mailserver, snort is a lousy
substitute.