[Snort-users] Snort installation on Win 2k - MS SQL

Jarret Gibson jarret at ...7313...
Thu Oct 24 14:31:05 EDT 2002

Here goes:

I'm trying to set up Snort with MSSQL logging on a fully updated Windows 2000 server.  For whatever reason, only Snort 1.9.0 or later will detect my system's adapter.  However, 1.9.0 apparently has a few bugs in running with MSSQL according to some other folks:

"There were a couple of bugs in detecting the presence of MS-SQL Server in the release of Snort 1.9.  These bugs have been addressed in CVS.  Update and manually rebuild snort"

So I went here:  http://www.snort.org/dl/snapshots/
and downloaded the snort-stable.tar.gz file.  I compiled Snort successfully, but when I ran it, I was told this:

"If this build of snort was compiled by you, then re-run the the ./configure script using the '--with-mssql' switch.  For non-standard installations of a database, the '--with-mssql=DIR' syntax may need to be used to specify the base directory of the DB install."

I'm stuck here.  I can't figure out where or when I'm supposed to run this configure script it mentions.  Any help on this would be appreciated.

AirGibson