[Snort-users] MSSQL errors...

Steve Pearson Steve at ...7260...
Tue Oct 22 20:26:02 EDT 2002

Hi all,

I'm having issues getting Snort 1.9 working correctly on a Windows box.
Specifically, I'm having troubles getting it to log to MS SQL Server
2000. I created the database, and ran the create_mssql script to
populate it, all with no errors. Then, I configured the output line in
snort.conf. After creating a new user, and assigning it permissions, I
ran snort with the following:

C:\Snort\etc>..\snort.exe -d -c snort.conf

And I receive the following output....

Any ideas?

Thanks in Advance,

Steve

<snip>
database: compiled support for ( mysql odbc mssql )
database: configured to use mssql
database: database name = snort
database:          user = SnortDB
database: password is set
database:   sensor name =
SNORT:\Device\NPF_{FE4B28EF-B17C-4B9B-9516-175C0CC9860
5}
database: SQL Server message 5701, state 2, severity 0:
        Changed database context to 'snort'.
Server 'SNORT',
database: SQL Server message 5701, state 1, severity 0:
        Changed database context to 'snort'.
Server 'SNORT', Line 1
database: SQL Server message 515, state 2, severity 16:
        Cannot insert the value NULL into column 'last_cid', table
'snort.dbo.se
nsor'; column does not allow nulls. INSERT fails.
Server 'SNORT', Line 1
database:  The above error was caused by the following statement:
INSERT INTO sensor (hostname, interface, detail, encoding) VALUES
('SNORT:\Devic
e\NPF_{FE4B28EF-B17C-4B9B-9516-175C0CC98605}','\Device\NPF_{FE4B28EF-B17
C-4B9B-9
516-175C0CC98605}','1','0')
database: SQL Server message 3621, state 0, severity 0:
        The statement has been terminated.
Server 'SNORT', Line 1
database:  The above error was caused by the following statement:
INSERT INTO sensor (hostname, interface, detail, encoding) VALUES
('SNORT:\Devic
e\NPF_{FE4B28EF-B17C-4B9B-9516-175C0CC98605}','\Device\NPF_{FE4B28EF-B17
C-4B9B-9
516-175C0CC98605}','1','0')
database: DB-Library error:
        General SQL Server error: Check messages from the SQL Server.
database:  The above error was caused by the following statement:
INSERT INTO sensor (hostname, interface, detail, encoding) VALUES
('SNORT:\Devic
e\NPF_{FE4B28EF-B17C-4B9B-9516-175C0CC98605}','\Device\NPF_{FE4B28EF-B17
C-4B9B-9
516-175C0CC98605}','1','0')
database: Problem obtaining SENSOR ID (sid) from snort->sensor

 When this plugin starts, a SELECT query is run to find the sensor id
for the
 currently running sensor. If the sensor id is not found, the plugin
will run
 an INSERT query to insert the proper data and generate a new sensor id.
Then a
 SELECT query is run to get the newly allocated sensor id. If that fails
then
 this error message is generated.

 Some possible causes for this error are:
  * the user does not have proper INSERT or SELECT privileges
  * the sensor table does not exist

 If you are _absolutely_ certain that you have the proper privileges set
and
 that your database structure is built properly please let me know if
you
 continue to get this error. You can contact me at (roman at ...438...).

Fatal Error, Quitting..