[Snort-users] Snort doesn't appear to be looking at everything on our network

Steve Saunders stevefs at ...7249...
Tue Oct 22 09:08:32 EDT 2002

Snort doesn't appear to be looking at everything on our network, I don't see
any traffic except broadcast and traffic connecting to my pc. One of the
rules I setup was to alert me when someone pings on our network, I don't
receive any alerts unless my pc gets pinged. If I ping anything else it
doesn't alert me. Even when I run snort as a packet sniffer, it never picks
up anything except the broadcast. Is there something on our network that
could be interfering with it, or am I doing something wrong? The command I
use to run Snort is "snort -i2 -c c:\snort\rules.rules -l c:\snort\log", the
rule I set in the rules.rules file states "alert icmp any any -> any any
(msg: "possible ping attempt";).

Thank you,
Steve