[Snort-users] Mysql and payload

Julien Bordet Julien.Bordet at ...7234...
Tue Oct 22 09:08:07 EDT 2002

Hello all,

I currently have a snort 1.8.3 installed on a linux server (I plan upgrading
it soon, but that is not why I write to this list today ;). That snort logs
into a mysql database. It is run with  the command line

/usr/sbin/snort -u snort -g snort -d -D -i eth1 -c /etc/snort/snort.conf

Currently it logs payload (thanks to -d switch I guess), but in hex mode, so
I have lines like :

1 | 313966 | 04F5...

in the snort data table.

But I'd like to log in ascii mode. I have tried modifying the sensor table,
by setting encoding to '2', but that did not work.

Could someone tell me if this is possible to do, and how ?

Many thanks

Julien