[Snort-users] Can't set logdir in 1.9.0

Serge Leschinsky serge at ...6175...
Thu Oct 17 07:16:55 EDT 2002

Dear Chris.

On Monday, October 14, 2002, at 09:21 GMT -04
  (20:21, the same day my local time),
 you wrote about "[Snort-users] Can't set logdir in 1.9.0", at least in part:

>>>         daemon $SNORTHOME/sbin/snort -u snort -g snort -s -d -D \
>>>                 -i $INTERFACE -l /var/chroot/snort/log \
>>>                 -t $SNORTHOME -c /etc/snort.conf
>>>         touch /var/lock/subsys/snort

CG> for the time being, pass the -s option a fake argument.  The getopt
CG> for unix systems incorrectly specified that the syslog option takes an
CG> argument
Hmmm... I've temporary resolved this trouble in the following way:
> -l /log \
and I've create /log directory. The error with "log directory 'log' does
not exist" disappeared. I can't understand why chroot settings
(/var/chroot/snort) aren't applied. Strangely enough that the
existents of  -s options doesn't exert influence on errors message.

So, when logdir trouble disappeared I got new error message
>Oct 15 15:40:53 builder-host snort: FATAL ERROR: ERROR
>/etc/rules/bad-traffic.rules (12) => Couldn't resolve hostname HOME_NET
The variable $HOME_NET is defined. 8-((

I'm very sorry for troubling community with these stupid questions but I
can't start 1.9.0 myself. It may seem strange, I have almost no
problem  with snort 1.8.x.

--
Yours sincerely
        Serge Leschinsky        mailto:serge at ...6175...

Please visit this link:  http://rotter.net/israel