[Snort-users] snort and network tap

Scot Scot scotw at ...125...
Wed Oct 16 21:22:01 EDT 2002

Your TAP's are going to provide you with full-duplex traffic. If your
traffic is not to high, 40MB or more, you will probably get away with using
a hub. Regardless of the traffic load you will always stand a higher risk of
loosing traffic using a half-duplex repeating (hub) device. I would
recommend using a full-duplex switch to combine the traffic. You can then
setup a mirrored, SPANed, or roving port (depending on what the
manufacturer's lingo is for the switch you are using) to forward the
combined traffic to your snort sensor.

                        |------------------|
 TAP---Rx---- |     Switch            |----Mirrored Port------
|Snort-Sensor|
TAP---Tx----  |                           |
If you have the $$$$$ laying around, many switches now do Layer 2-7
switching. This will allow you to forward specific types of Application
traffic. Just to throw one out off the top of my head:

TopLayer

http://www.toplayer.com

Just my 2.0134 cents worth (tax included)

Scot Wiedenfeld