[Snort-users] snort and network tap

Peter Erickson redlamb at ...7185...
Wed Oct 16 10:07:03 EDT 2002

I am in the process of attaching snort to a network and am not too sure on how to attach it with the network tap that I have. I have the Finisar UTP IL/1. I have been told to connect the 2 tap ports on the Network Tap to a hub and then connect the snort machine to the hub, but after reading some articles on the Snort-Users archive, I heard that I wil lose too many packets due to collisions and that this would not be a good choice. I also read on the snort FAQ that I can not run 1 instance of snort to monitor 2 interfaces, so I guess that is not too good of an options either. I am just wondering what the best way to connect my snort machine to the network using the network tap that I have. Thanks in advance.