[Snort-users] Portscan preprocessor and false positives

Alberto Gonzalez ag-snort at ...7149...
Tue Oct 15 20:34:05 EDT 2002

im assuming from your e-mail this is spp_portscan not spp_portscan2

try
preprocessor portscan-ignorehosts: x.x.x.x

also.. Snort has a _manual_ not just a FAQ... remember that.. avaialbe
via html or pdf...

hope it helps

    - Albert

Ben Keepper wrote:

>I didn't see this covered in the FAQ.
>
>We are receiving a lot of spp:portscan alerts when internal users go to
>sites like msn.com (go figure).
>
>All the separate banner ads are showing up as separate IP and the
>portscan preprocessor fires.  I have tried increasing the threshholds to
>no avail.
>
>I could add HOME_NET to the ignore hosts variable, but would prefer to
>just have the preprocessor for sensor ignore what it thinks are port
>scans on port 80.
>
>So can I get the portscan preprocessor to ignore to ignore port 80?
>
>Thanks to everybody for your help.
>
>Ben

The secret to success is to start from scratch and keep on scratching.