[Snort-users] Changing the filename format for alerts

Matt Yackley Matt.Yackley at ...5858...
Tue Oct 15 13:07:03 EDT 2002

Thanks Erek, but I think I tried to go that route once before and it really
didn't seem to work for my situation, I think I have a bit of a funky setup.
I'm using SnortSnarf and Snort on a linux box, 3 nics, 2 are stealthed to
watch inside and outside the firewall.  I run two separate instances of
Snort and SnortSnarf, one for each side of the firewall.  I run a weeks
worth of data then tar the whole html tree that snortsnarf creates and ftp
it to a windows machine.  Once on the windows box the whole tree get burned
to a CD for storage so all I need to do is drop the CD in any PC and
navigate through the HTML just like it was on the server.

Anyway that's my messed up way of viewing and archiving data, but it works
for me.  I ran into all kinds of issues between Snort and SnortSnarf and
trying to use : and then try the renaming route, etc., but the best way for
me is to just use _ instead.

Your suggestion may work well for others though, thanks again for the help.

BTW, I'm forced to use Outlook and I love seeing your Outlook flag!

Matt