[Snort-users] Running Snort 1.9.0 from shell script

Wayne T Work securitygauntlet at ...3130...
Mon Oct 14 20:33:05 EDT 2002

You are pointing to the right snort.conf. The newer version has several
variables (Port numbers) that the rules apply too. Also, make sure your have
the right rules in place.

Cheers!
Wayne

-----Original Message-----
From: snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net
[mailto:snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net]On Behalf Of Michael
Boman
Sent: Monday, October 14, 2002 10:30 PM
To: Eric Joe
Cc: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] Running Snort 1.9.0 from shell script

On Mon, Oct 14, 2002 at 10:11:40PM -0400, Eric Joe wrote:
> I had been running Snort 1.8.7 from a simple shell script like this
>
> #!/bin/sh
> /usr/local/bin/snort -d -c /home/snort-1.9.0/etc/snort.conf -o &
>
> Now, with version 1.9.0 I get this error when I run it from a shell.
>
> ERROR => Undefined variable name: (../rules/exploit.rules:22): SMTP
>
> I am running the bash shell on
>
> 2.4.18-5smp kernel
>
> If I type out the same exact command in a shell, it works fine!
>
> I am baffled. Can someone set me straight?

IFAIK
	var SMTP $HOME_NET
has been replaced with
	var SMTP_SERVERS $HOME_NET

or you have a misspelled rule. Double-check your $VARIABLE useage against
what you define with 'var VARIABLE value' statements.

Best regards
 Michael Boman

--
Michael Boman
Student, Husband, Geek. Not necessary in that order though.