[Snort-users] Running Snort 1.9.0 from shell script

Michael Boman michael at ...3137...
Mon Oct 14 19:28:07 EDT 2002

On Mon, Oct 14, 2002 at 10:11:40PM -0400, Eric Joe wrote:
> I had been running Snort 1.8.7 from a simple shell script like this
>
> #!/bin/sh
> /usr/local/bin/snort -d -c /home/snort-1.9.0/etc/snort.conf -o &
>
> Now, with version 1.9.0 I get this error when I run it from a shell.
>
> ERROR => Undefined variable name: (../rules/exploit.rules:22): SMTP
>
> I am running the bash shell on
>
> 2.4.18-5smp kernel
>
> If I type out the same exact command in a shell, it works fine!
>
> I am baffled. Can someone set me straight?

IFAIK
	var SMTP $HOME_NET
has been replaced with
	var SMTP_SERVERS $HOME_NET

or you have a misspelled rule. Double-check your $VARIABLE useage against
what you define with 'var VARIABLE value' statements.

Best regards
 Michael Boman

--
Michael Boman
Student, Husband, Geek. Not necessary in that order though.