[Snort-users] Running Snort 1.9.0 from shell script

Eric Joe sysop at ...6291...
Mon Oct 14 19:15:04 EDT 2002

I had been running Snort 1.8.7 from a simple shell script like this

#!/bin/sh
/usr/local/bin/snort -d -c /home/snort-1.9.0/etc/snort.conf -o &

Now, with version 1.9.0 I get this error when I run it from a shell.

ERROR => Undefined variable name: (../rules/exploit.rules:22): SMTP

I am running the bash shell on

2.4.18-5smp kernel

If I type out the same exact command in a shell, it works fine!

I am baffled. Can someone set me straight?

Thanks in advance
--
Eric Joe
Network Operations