[Snort-users] " Problem obtaining SENSOR ID", unable to start snort/access postgres

Eli Stair eli.stair at ...5343...
Mon Oct 14 11:11:05 EDT 2002

On Mon, 14 Oct 2002 13:53:59 -0400
Jed Pickel <jed at ...153...> wrote:

> This error came from the psql library...
>

> Looks like a permission issue. I'm not sure by memory the right GRANT
> syntax for postgresql. Maybe there is some special permission for
> sequences. You could for testing at least grant your user "snort" all
> permissions on the snortdb tables.

Ah, well there probably are special permissions, ones I don't know about.
Fortunately "superuser" privileges added to a postgresql account supply
the necessary ones.  Setting "superuser" rights to 'snort' on the first
run fixed the problem, and it works now after revoking them.  I obviously
couldn't tell you what was wrong but it is fixed now.  Output on the first
run with that config resulted in success.

Thanks for your input Jed.

Cheers,

/eli

 No arguments to stream4_reassemble, setting defaults:
     Reassemble client: ACTIVE
     Reassemble server: INACTIVE
     Reassemble ports: 21 23 25 53 80 143 110 111 513
     Reassembly alerts: ACTIVE
     Reassembly method: FAVOR_OLD
database: compiled support for ( postgresql )
database: configured to use postgresql
database:          user = snort
database: password is set
database: database name = snort
database:          host = 127.0.0.1
database:   sensor name = 12.219.134.40
database:     sensor id = 1
database: schema version = 105
database: using the "alert" facility
1239 Snort rules read...
1239 Option Chains linked into 125 Chain Headers
0 Dynamic rules

Rule application order: ->activation->dynamic->alert->pass->log

        --== Initialization Complete ==--