[Snort-users] barnyard configure problem

Wayne T Work securitygauntlet at ...3130...
Fri Oct 11 10:41:05 EDT 2002

It looks like MySQL is not running or you do not have the MySQL client
software loaded

Wayne

-----Original Message-----
From: snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net
[mailto:snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net]On Behalf Of Andrew R.
Baker
Sent: Thursday, October 10, 2002 6:40 PM
To: Randy Bey
Cc: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] barnyard configure problem

Randy Bey wrote:
> I am trying to configure barnyard with mysql and the configure script is
> complaining about not being able to find mysql_connect.
>
> This is the specific message I get from
> ./configure --with-mysql-includes=/usr/local/mysql/include
> --with-mysql-libraries=/usr/local/mysql/lib --enable-mysql :
>
> checking for /usr/local/mysql/include/mysql.h... yes
> checking for mysql_connect in -lmysqlclient... no

>   ERROR: unable to find mysqlclient library
>   checked in the following places
>         /usr/local/mysql/lib
>
> Being curious, I did an ar -t on libmysqlclient.a and did not find any
> reference to mysql_connect, either in that library or any of the others
> in the mysql lib dir.
>
> Any light to be shed?

well, `ar -t` is only going to show you the files that were compiled
into the library file, not the symbol table where the function names
live.  `strings` works really well for that. ;)

As for actually fixing the problem, can you send me some more info.
Such as Operating System version/flavour and Barnyard version.  Also,
can you look in the file config.log for the line

	"checking for mysql_connect in -lmysqlclient"

and e-mail the surrounding lines?

Thanks,

Andrew