[Snort-users] Snort version comparisons

Crow, Owen Owen_Crow at ...2639...
Wed Oct 9 08:20:16 EDT 2002

[snip]

> 	Realistic note:  Is there any reason _not_ to upgrade?

Historically, anything x.0 is less stable than the release before it.  Those
who do not remember history, etc...  I waited until 1.8.1 to jump on the 1.8
bandwagon, and I am very glad I did.

Am I running 1.9.0 anywhere (read testing)?  Sure.  Am I rushing to install
it on my globally distributed infrastructure with dozens of sensors?  No.

It would be nice to have two "stable" versions supported with current
signatures, but I guess it's nicer still to have a free usable solution
(read, thanks Marty, Chris, et. al.).

Regards,
Owen
[speaking for myself only]