[Snort-users] Compiling snort on Win32

Michael Steele michaels at ...155...
Fri May 31 14:53:03 EDT 2002

Chris,

I'm assuming that the warnings mean nothing and fixing it for a clean
executable is going to produce the same snort.exe?

Will the code below work with 1.8.7?

The log file inclusion has been a must for a multitude of updates.

mailto:michaels at ...155...

From: snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net
[mailto:snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net] On Behalf Of Chris Reid
Sent: May 31, 2002 2:18 PM
To: Ian Macdonald; snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] Compiling snort on Win32

Ian,

I talked with Chris Green about this yesterday.  I had already planned
on
providing him with a new Visual Studio project for Snort 1.8.6 tonight
(Friday).

Currently, there should be hundreds of warnings, but only one link
error.
The link error should indicate that one of the "log" source files is
missing.  As part of my Visual Studio project update tonight, I was also
going to give Chris some diff's to snort.h (already found in the 1.9
source)
which reduce the warnings down to about 24.

If you just can't wait  ;)  here is how you can compile a clean 1.8.6
executable:

*  Open snort.h

*  Locate the include of <math.h>, and change it to:

    #ifdef WIN32
        #pragma warning( disable : 4028 )
    #endif /* WIN32 */
    #include <math.h>
    #ifdef WIN32
        #pragma warning( default : 4028 )
    #endif /* WIN32 */

*  Further down in snort.h, locate:

    /* This is basically everything needed to make snort work under
WIN32. -- Mike Davis */
    #ifdef WIN32
        #include <winsock.h>
        #include <windows.h>
        #include <io.h>
        #include <sys/timeb.h>
        #include <process.h>
        #include <direct.h>
        #include <getopt.h>
        typedef unsigned char  u_int8_t;
        typedef unsigned short u_int16_t;
        typedef unsigned int   u_int32_t;
        typedef int            pid_t;

    and change it to:

    /* This is basically everything needed to make snort work under
WIN32. -- Mike Davis */
    #ifdef WIN32
        #include <winsock.h>
        #include <windows.h>
        #pragma warning( disable : 4028 )
        #include <io.h>
        #include <process.h>
        #pragma warning( default : 4028 )
        #include <sys/timeb.h>
        #include <direct.h>
        #include <getopt.h>
        typedef unsigned char  u_int8_t;
        typedef unsigned short u_int16_t;
        typedef unsigned int   u_int32_t;
        typedef int            pid_t;

*  Compile.  This should still generate the link error.  Look at the
error
to figure out which "log" source file is missing.  Add this file to your
Visual Studio project, and compile again.

Chris Reid