[Snort-users] Attention: Win32 Users - Snort 1.8.6b121 Ready - W/Run As Service

Hicks, John JHicks at ...5857...
Thu May 30 10:17:06 EDT 2002

YEAH!!! Thanks *so* much :)

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Steele [mailto:michaels at ...155...]
Sent: Thursday, May 30, 2002 1:10 PM
To: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Snort-users] Attention: Win32 Users - Snort 1.8.6b121 Ready -
W/Run As Service

To all Windows users of Snort:

Please read all the notices below.

The latest 1.8.7b121 binaries have been compiled and are now available
on our site. There are 5 flavors available:

Snort 1.8.7b121 Release
Snort 1.8.7b121 MySQL Release
Snort 1.8.7b121 MySQL/FlexResp Release
Snort 1.8.7b121 FlxResp Release
Snort 1.8.7b121 MSSQL Release

NOTICE: The "Run As Service" has been compiled into this update. This
option is ONLY available for the Windows 2000's, XP, and NT Server. The
basic usage is as follows:

Note: COMPLETELY remove any previous installation of Snort running as a
service, even Registry settings, then reboot. If you have any concerns
or questions, please don't hesitate to email me.

There are three command switches that Snort uses for the Service
activation.

/SERVICE /INSTALL
/SERVICE /UNINSTALL
/SERVICE /SHOW

Explanation of Service options:

CAUTION: All the switches MUST be used from the folder that Snort is
located in. If Snort is located in C:\Snort then navigate to that folder
and type the command from there.

This will install Snort as a service with the specified parameters:
"snort /SERVICE /INSTALL -de -c <FULL PATH>\snort.conf -l <FULL
PATH>\logs"

This will remove snort as a service:
"snort /SERVICE /UNINSTALL"

This will display the parameters: