[Snort-users] Stubbourn Pcap Error

CJATeck at ...661... CJATeck at ...661...
Mon May 27 13:24:12 EDT 2002

Try testing your WinPCap installation, a good starting source of information
is the WinPCap FAQ:

http://winpcap.polito.it/misc/faq.htm

#5 States: Q-5: The XXX WinPcap-based application doesn't run properly on my
system. Is it a WinPcap problem?A: Try <A HREF="http://netgroup.polito.it/windump">Windump</A>. In particular, "windump -D"
reports the list of valid adapters and shows if WinPcap is able to detect
correctly your hardware. If WinDump works, the problem is in the XXX program
and not in WinPcap, so contact the authors of XXX for help.

The FAQ will also tell you how to check to see if the packet driver is
running.

Finally, you might find it useful to install microsoft's support tools, on
the win2k disk, \support\tools\. The run the support tool netdiag.exe in the
verbose mode...
netdiag -v
This gives you a whole lot of network and nic diagnostic info.

I have on occasion run into a bad win32k build of snort. Verify the WinPCap
installation is working correctly first and then go from their.

Hope this helps, Cliff Arms